Friday, May 21, 2010

Signposts For The Future

Sometimes there comes a pause in life when the familiar forward motion no longer serves, when new direction must be sought. In such a pause I came into possession of chests and boxes of old papers, letters, scrapbooks, diaries. I went back then to my roots. Reading, I recalled my family in every sense of that good word, and found my signposts for the future.

My mother, Jane Thompson Rankin, used this excerpt from the book, Legacy of Love: A Memoir of Two American Families by Julia Davis, as her opening remarks before the Fayette County Genealogical Society for a December meeting sometime in the mid 1980's when she was the Society's president.

When I discovered Mom's notes on a yellow legal pad, the kind she used for so much of her writing, I knew exactly why she chose it. During her 89-year life she had inherited many chests and boxes from grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. She also collected other pieces of history and genealogy from friends. At auctions she sought out family Bibles; sometimes retrieving them from the trash heap. When Mom died in January 2006, I inherited it all from her.

Then I came into my own 'pause in life.'

I was down-sized and right-sized out of several jobs. I mourned the loss of mother, brother Tom and great-nephew Austin. During those subsequent times of unemployment and grieving, I took refuge in my family's mementos: books, photos, news clippings, souvenirs; those items big and small that held significance for them. During those moments when I wasn't sure what to do next, their struggles and triumphs and everyday life gave me focus, fresh perspectives on my family, and who I am because of them.

My inheritance also inspired me to research the missing pieces and to write. And it's inspired me to start this blog about Fayette County, the place where I grew up, and where my family has lived since the founding of the county in 1810.

In sharing my stories I hope to learn from others who also have a love of history.

I welcome your questions or comments.

2 comments:

  1. Senie,

    I am glad you are sharing the info that Jane had collected over the years. I will be interested in following your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthmary from Gillie GroupJune 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM

    Congratulations, Senath. This is a great site and I will come back and visit from time to time - I enjoy local history, pictures, etc.

    Ruthmary from Gillie Group

    ReplyDelete